Friday, September 13, 2013

Stop Roughing With Me

Last week I lost in both in both of my main leagues, Roughing the Picker and Coast2Coast Ballers. While my lost in Coast2Coast Ballers was bearable, the loss in Roughing the Picker has been playing tricks with my mind all week. Out of all of my leagues, this is the main one. We drafted together, in person, not online. There's money and bragging rights on the line. I drafted well, with the exception of my bench. And I still lost. After thinking about it, I realized that even though I drafted well, I made a crucial mistake. You see kids, this is the importance of going over the rules of your league before you draft. Even though we all read over the rules together before we drafted, I totally disregarded two important aspects points wise in this league.

First brain fart is the very first thing listed on the point sheet that we all received at the draft. For every completion, you get a point. Not too much of a big deal, but it should have a major impact on who you draft at quarterback, especially since this is a two quarterback league. My quarterbacks in this league is Matthew Stafford and Cam Newton. There really isn't a problem with Matthews, I think he'll come through with plenty of completions. Newton however is a different story. Now don't get me wrong, I expect Newton to produce plentifully for me in this league, but when it comes to completions I have to question the whole situation. The Carolina Panthers don't have enough quality receivers for Newton to throw to. Steve Smith will get his, but outside of that Cam really doesn't have too many options other than to run the ball. So while Cam is doing his thing, other teams with more reliable receivers are racking up more points because of completions, thus dramatically impacting the scores in this league.

The second thing I missed is a very crucial aspect for this league. This league is a PPR league. I think the reason why I overlooked this is because nowhere on the point/rule sheet does it say anything about PPR. While I was drafting I obviously did not keep this in consideration. Even though I have high quality receivers, I stocked my team with running backs, and not the pass-catching type of running backs. What I should've been doing was stocking my bench with mid-range wide receivers.  Instead I drafted Mark Ingram and Vick Ballard. I've already dropped Ingram.

I'm going to have to resolve this problem immediately if I'm to make it to the playoffs. Bad news is the free agency market in this league sucks. That means I'm going to have to put together a pretty attractive trade package. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of including Alfred Morris in this package, but that's just a thought. Bad thing about trading in this league is the owners are greedy. So I'm going to have to make it an offer that can't be refused...

No comments:

Post a Comment