Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Practice?

I'm a sports connoisseur. I get down with a lot of sports. Basketball, football, baseball, soccer... Don't really get down with hockey, but I love sports. One of the things I like about sports is sports journalism. I especially like post game interviews. After the joy and agony of the game, post game interviews can become very interesting and entertaining.



One of my favorite post game interviews is Allen Iverson back in 2002. A reporter asked him about a comment his coach made about his participation in practice.  Iverson simply responded ” practice?” He ranted on voicing his frustration of the question emphasizing that at a post game interview the question wasn't about the game that was just played, the question was about PRACTICE. This post game interview went on to become one if the most memorable post game interviews in American sports history.

Unfortunately, I had to give a slightly modified version of this speech last night. It all started yesterday afternoon right before quitting time. I received an email from Yahoo sports. I thought it was concerning this league I'm in where this guy is trying to trade me Seattle defense and Rob Gronkowski for DeSean Jackson. Instead it was about a trade that went on in one of my main leagues, Roughing the Picker.  The trade consisted of Danny Amendola, T.J. Yates, and Brandon Myers for Matt Ryan. Weird but if that's what they want then I'm with it.

How did T.J. Yates get involved in a trade?


When I got off of work I sent a text to my boy Victor to talk about the trade. He let's me know that he was texting with the other members of the league and the trade was a ”joke” and the two members who agreed to the trade wanted us other members to vote against the trade because it was supposed to be just a "joke". Are you serious? So you mean that the trade is not real and this dudes are joking, or the way I see it, practicing? It's the middle of the season, and these dudes are practicing. This ain't practice. Practice? This ain't practice. We ain't talking about preseason or a mock league. We talking about a real league in the middle of the season, and these dudes are practicing. This ain't practice. Practice?

Now I understand that it's a game and this is Phantasy Steez, but it's the principle of the overall situation that has my gears grinding. In this league, we had a live in person draft. We went over all the rules together and there is a rule about members being in cahoots with other members to create "super teams". Victor and I were used as an example of this rule because we're friends it would look suspicious if we made a trade proposal. Most owners would probably think we're working together to create this "super team" if there's a such thing in fantasy football. So if Victor and I are trying to make a legitimate trade, it could lead up to our teams getting locked or denied access, but these guys are practicing... practice. We ain't talking about a legitimate trade negotiation, we talking about practice.

Trust me, I understand that it's a game and it's supposed to be fun.To me however, considering the circumstances and situations, we ain't talking about Phantasy Steez, the thing we all love and prepare for and get together for every year and commune and strategize over during the football season. We talking about practice. I think the trade should go through, since some think this is practice. However, the other managers have already decided to vote against the trade because it's just a joke, and majority vote rules, so these guys are going to get away with practice.Victor, I'm sorry that you had to here the Don's version of the practice speech. The other managers probably won't know about it unless the read my blog, which I doubt. But nooga, I'm just saying. We ain't talking about Phantasy Steez... WE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE! This ain't practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment