Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sign and Trade

During the NBA offseason, sometimes teams and players come to an agreement called a sign and trade. In this scenario, an unrestricted free agent will sign with his current team. The team then trades that player just signed to another team. Its a way to make sure you get something for the player leaving your team. I've managed to do this on that Phantasy Steez.

It all started last week which was the first week of byes. I have Aaron Rodgers on about three teams. One team in particular, Rodgers is my starting quarterback and I have Sam Bradford on the bench. I didn't want to start Bradford, and it's a good thing I didn't because Bradford did not do well last week against San Francisco scoring 8 points. Terelle Pryor is also on my bench, I wasn't sure if he was going to play, which he didn't. So I I was perusing around the free agency and for some weird reason Philip Rivers was available. This was shocking to me because all of the fantasy "experts" were talking highly about starting Rivers all week. So I picked him up and to great effect as Rivers had a great fantasy game scoring 27 points for me.

Fast forward to this week. Aaron Rodgers is back so naturally I want him to start. Now I'm looking at my bench and I have Rivers, Pryor and Bradford on my bench. That's way too many quarterbacks. Looking back at free agency, there really isn't anyone worthy of picking up for one of these quarterbacks, so I decided to see about making a trade. I could make an offer for any of these quarterbacks,  but I think I could get the most in return for Rivers. Plus, in case anything should happen to Rodgers, I do still have Pryor and Bradford, and even though they may not be as "elite" as River, I think they can still be product enough to get points.

I made a trade offer based on what I felt I needed on the team and the value of Rivers versus that position, which for some reason I decided I needed a running back. I have Reggie Bush and Ray Rice who are both coming off of injuries. Bush in particular could get hurt again before the end of the season. I also have Bernard Pierce who was just on my team to fill in for Ray Rice. I felt like I needed a more dependable running back. After looking at different running back rankings, I felt I could get away with trading away Rivers for DeMarco Murray. True, Murray has been injured in the past, but this season he looks great and I still think a lot of people are sleeping on him.



It only took a couple of hours before the owner of All i do is WIN accepted the trade offer. He probably thought I was high or something when I sent him the trade offer. Actually I wasn't, I was at work, but if this is what he was thinking, it's exactly what I wanted him to think. Truth of the matter is, I signed a back up quarterback to fill in for Rodgers, signed Rivers, then traded Rivers to a team that has Tom Brady and E.J. Manuel for Murray, who I feel was this guy's best running back. He also has Darren Sproles, Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams. I get an insurance policy in case on of my backs get injured. He gets a quarterback who is most likely going to be useless until Brady goes on a bye. In my opinion, coming from a phantasy point of view, I think I win...


No comments:

Post a Comment