Monday, August 26, 2013

Autopick Disaster

By the time the season begins, I'll probably have anywhere between fifteen and twenty teams. Although I will be blogging about all my teams, I'm not going to post up every team's roster before the season starts, just the ones that intrigues me the most.

As I stated previously, I like to join random leagues to prepare for my main leagues instead of participating in mock drafts. Roughing the Picker and Coast2Coast Ballers are both two quarterbacks leagues, so even though I have some standard leagues, I do try to join other two quarterback leagues as well.

One day once I was at work grinding hard in the warehouse when my boss asked me if I could go inside and help out my co-workers in the office for a couple of hours. I took it as an opportunity to draft another team since I was going to be stuck at my desk. I went to my desk and scheduled to join an ESPN league called Criminal Minds. This custom league has two quarterbacks, two running backs, one running back/wide receiver, one wide receiver, two wide receiver/tight end, two offensive players (not flex players), one defensive player, one defense/special teams, and one kick plus your bench.

It was ten minutes before draft time and I was sitting at my desk patiently waiting. All of sudden, something happened. My boss came to my desk and alerted me that I was supposed to be in the warehouse helping the shipping department catch up instead of being in the office helping them catch up. That meant I had to leave my desk, and there's no computer with internet access in the shipping department like there is in the receiving department where I usually work. I had to miss the draft! What made matters even worse, I didn't edit any pre-draft rankings or anything. So even though this was a two quarterback league, autopick didn't consider it and went with the default rankings which consists mostly of running backs.


After missing the draft and inheriting an autopicked squad, this is what my team looks like:

QB: Sam Bradford
QB: Kevin Kolb
RB: Marshawn Lynch
RB: LeSean McCoy
RB/WR: Stevan Ridley
WR: Marques Colston
WR/TE: Greg Jennings
WR/TE: Dwayne Bowe
OP: David Wilson
OP: Lamar Miller
DP: Chad Greenway
Defense: Cincinatti Bengals
K: Matt Prater
Bench: Shane Vereen
Bench: Giovanni Bernard
Bench: Kenny Britt
Bench: Bryce Brown
Bench: DeAndre Hopkins
Bench: E.J. Manual
Bench: Kenbrell Thompkins

The squad looks good, but there are a couple of things that bothers me about this team. First of course are my quarterbacks. Of all the quarterbacks in the league, autopick got me Sam Bradford and Kevin Kolb. Now with Bradford, I have him as one of my sleeper quarterbacks who I think will be much better than last season. However, with Kolb, I'm not expecting to get the starting nod come week 1, and if he does I'm not expecting him to remain the starter all season long. Not to mention that as of writing this, Kolb is out with a severe concussion that they say could be career-ending. I'm thinking about either negotiating a trade, or picking up Terrelle Pryor.

Secondly, I don't like what I have at the two Offensive Player positions. With David Wilson, he has a lot of hype right now, but do we really know what he's going to bring to the table? Then with Lamar Miller, he hasn't lived up to preseason expectations and could lose touches to Daniel Thomas.

Lastly, as with many of my teams, I don't like my bench. Shane Vereen, could come in as that third down back, Giovanni Bernard could become that starter, Kenny Britt hasn't been the same since he got injured a few years ago, Bryce Brown will have to come behind LeSean McCoy, DeAndre Hopkins... I don't really know who he is. EJ Manuel and Kenbrell Thompkins are two guys I picked up after the draft for Randy Bullock and Ryan Broyles respectively.

I see I'm going to have to make some moves. As I said earlier, I might have to pick up Terrelle Pryor who looks to be the number one starter for the Raiders as Matt Flynn has not lived up to the preseason hype. EJ Manuel could do some damage if he can stay healthy enough to stay on the field. And if Flynn does when the starting job, I can't sleep on him. I might also be looking at trading for Carson Palmer, Brandon Weeden, or Alex Smith. Yes sir, in this league I'm going to have to get my general manager rep up for sure.






No comments:

Post a Comment