Thursday, August 22, 2013

My Other 2 QB League

Preparing for Roughing the Picker, I participated in two other random leagues that had two starting quarterbacks. I joined an ESPN league called Teenage Newton Ninja Turtles. By coincidence, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were my shit when I was kid. I had all four action figures, a towel and soap set, and a variety of little T-shirts. Also, I had two of the three movies they came out with on VHS.

So this is how my squad, the LA DonSquad, looks:

QB: Cam Newton
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Arian Foster
RB: Darren McFadden
RB: Reggie Bush
WR: Hakeem Nicks
WR: Dwayne Bowe
WR: Anquan Boldin
WR: Sidney Rice
TE: Antonio Gates
Defense: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
K: Rob Bironas
Bench: Johnathan Stewart
Bench: Ben Tate
Bench: Jared Cook
Bench: Phillip Rivers
Bench: Cordarrelle Patterson
IR: Jeremy Maclin

A few things I want to point out about this league and my squad. One, not only is this a two quarterback league, but there's three running backs and four wide receivers. This made the draft a lot more interesting because some of the guys I have starting in this league would be on my bench in standard leagues, especially at wide receiver.

Second, I have the same quarterbacks in this league starting as I do in Roughing the Picker. Trust me, this was pure coincidence, I drafted this league like a week before we had the draft for Roughing the Picker. Crazy thing about it though is that I didn't go quarterback quarterback with my first two picks in this league. My first pick was Arian Foster at number three. After the first round, I panicked because I noticed that except for the three guys who wasn't at the draft and had autopick by default, everyone else selected quarterbacks. So when my turn came up in the second, I eagerly picked up the best available quarterback available which was Cam Newton and in the third I took Matthew Stafford. True, I could've picked up Andrew Luck, but for some reason I'm not really feeling him this season.

Lastly, I was feeling good with my picks, but about an hour after the draft Jeremy Maclin got hurt in practice. Practice? We ain't even talking about the real game. We talking about practice! With the arrival of Chip Kelly, I was expecting Maclin to have a very good season, not to mention that Maclin is in a contract year, scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the season.

Interestingly enough though, this league has the exclusive IR position, where you can place an injured player on IR to pick up a free agent without having to drop that injured player. I cureently have Maclin on IR, but in this case placing Maclin on IR is pointless as he most likely is done for the rest of the season. Most likely I'll be dropping him soon. I did however pick up Kenbrell Thompkins who as of writing this is expected to be the number two X receiver for the Patriots. I probably will be looking for someone else to pick up just in case, but hopefully in this WR deep league, Thompkins can be efficient enough for phantasy success.





No comments:

Post a Comment