Friday, August 9, 2013

The Draft

By now many of you are preparing your game plan for drafting your Fantasy Football teams or you may have already drafted. The draft can either make or break your team. Draft well, and your team could pretty much manage itself. Draft poorly and you could find yourself desperately searching the free agency for a viable fill in on a weekly basis. In order to avoid drafting nonproductive players, a lot of people participate in mock drafts. I personally don't like mock drafts because some people don't take it seriously because its not a real draft, just a practice draft. So what I do is a join random leagues to prepare for my main league which hasn't drafted yet. I thought I share with you some things that I noticed in this year's draft.

Now before I continue, let me express that I am not fantasy football guru or expert. I can not and will not guarantee you that anything I post about Fantasy Football is a sure thing. I cannot predict who will have a breakout game or season. I cannot help you with your lineup. I do mess up. I'm just Marcus Nickerson. Some people call me Don Spook, not because I have multiple personalities or anything like that, not because I'm mafia or gang related, but it's the respect that many of my friends have for me. I'm just a regular guy who plays fantasy football, just like you, and I thought it would be cool to share my THOUGHTS, OPINIONS and EXPERIENCE on the game.


The first two rounds of this year's fantasy football draft are the two most intriguing rounds to me. In most of the drafts I've participated in already, its 97% clear that Adrian Peterson is the undisputed #1 overall draft pick. The only occasion where this hasn't happened is in leagues that start two quarterbacks, where in most cases its Aaron Rodgers who takes the honor as #1 draft pick. After the number one pick, the rest of round 1 mainly consist of running backs such as Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin, Arian Foster and Ray Rice, just to name a few. The only exception is Aaron Rodgers who usually goes late in the first or in the second, or Megatron Calvin Johnson, who vouches for himself. In two quarterback leagues, most quarterbacks are taking in the first two rounds by players, except for those slutty players who must have their favorite player on their roster.

In the third round, you begin to see the rest of the top tier wide receivers get drafted like Andre Johnson, Demariyus Thomas, AJ Green and Brandon Marshall. Starting quarterbacks are also still in the mix. The third round is the highest that I've seen a tight end go, and that tight end being Jimmy Graham. The rest of the tight end group is usually about fifth or sixth round, depending on the flow of the draft.

I can't really say where in the draft do Defenses start getting picked up because while players were selecting defenses, I was  hooking up my bench with back up running backs and receivers. In most drafts that I've participated in this year, I've drafted my defense towards the end, unless I noticed that a Defense like the New Orleans Saints have been drafted and its only like round 6, which lets me know that other players have already drafted way better defenses. In all the drafts this year, I've picked my kicker last.


Every league is different, but these are just some common patterns I've seen so far having participated in about five drafts already. Later, I'll break down my teams from the leagues that I've already drafted and talk more about the two leagues that I haven't drafted yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment