Friday, August 30, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Andre Johnson

The Fantasy Football season is still young. The NFL season hasn't even begun yet, but many have already drafted teams for fantasy. Currently I have about fourteen teams, which will probably be fifteen teams by the time I'm finished with this post. Many of my teams look somewhat similar because of my draft strategy, but none of my teams look perfectly identical. I did research on players I liked earlier on and during drafting, I tried to balance out my picks depending on my draft position and who was available during a certain round.  The end result, a small number of players being drafted on different teams. Players such as Dwayne Bowe, Le'Veon Bell (who is injured), Matt Forte, and Cam Newton, just to name a few.

In Coast2Coast Ballers, I missed the draft but still ended up with a stunning roster of wide receivers. Andre Johnson was the third receiver on my squad behind A.J. Green and Dez Bryant. I also have Eric Decker, Bowe, and Jordy Nelson. How did this happen? I don't know, I didn't attend the draft.



Many people may have Andre Johnson on their radar during the draft. When I saw I had him on the squad, first thing that came in my mind was to trade him. Even if I would've had a weaker wide receiver squad I would've wanted to trade him. Don't get me wrong, I do still think that Johnson is a dominant receiver, but under the current circumstances and situations, he's a very unattractive fit for any of my teams. Houston is a run first team. Arian Foster dominates that offense and the Texans really only passes the ball when they need to. Matt Schuab has failed to make it to elite quarterback status, which is one of the reasons why the Texans run the ball so much. Plus, outside of Johnson, the rest of the receiver corps for the Texans are mediocre. Then I start to think about Johnson's most potent flaw. The man stays injured. He has an extensive injury history for the past four seasons where he either plays injured or he sits out. Even when he plays injured, he is very much slowed down and it majorly affects Schuab, and me as his fantasy owner.



I knew I could make a trade look appealing with Johnson, but I really didn't know who I want to get for him. As I continued to look at my roster, I noticed I also had Ben Roethlisberger who I've won a championship with before, but that I was like 6 years ago. Plus, I don't like the Steeler's offensive line, and I'm not sold on the Steeler's receivers. So I came up with the ingenious idea to include him in the package. I knew I wanted Sam Bradford, so I looked him up and he was on Cephus' team. Cephus also had Danny Amendola, who I was not too keen on until I had the chance to check him out in a couple of preseason games. I'm convinced that as long as Tom Brady has someone to throw it to, he can make me look like Wes Welker. I proceeded with putting together a package with Andre Johnson and Ben Roethlisberger for Danny Amendola and Sam Bradford which I had believed was a good deal and it seemed as if Cephus was getting the better deal out of the trade.

It didn't take long for Cephus to accept the deal and about three days later, Amendola and Bradford came to my team. It could've been a mistake because hands down Johnson is a way better receiver than Amendola and Roethlisberger has a proven win record that Bradford does not have. The move could come back to bite me in the ass. This is phantasy steez though. It could very well pay off.




No comments:

Post a Comment