Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Reinstated Part Two: They Must've Forgot



From 2000 to 2002, every once in a while I spent a significant amount at time as a Biology student at Dillard University in New Orleans, Louisiana. While at Dillard my freshman year I stayed at Straight Hall.   I hung out with this particular groups of guys. Nothing very special about them, they were just regular guys. They went to class and just chilled afterwards, not like all nerdy or overzealous about college life.

After Dillard, one way we all keep in touch with each other is through fantasy football. Our league, Coast2Coast Ballers are made up of players representing from all over the country. This is probably one of my favorite leagues because of the bond between friends and football, and the beef. We talk a lot of friendly or unfriendly trash to each other throughout the season. Bragging rights and fantasy dignity are two key treasures that we all value in this league. I got a lot of haters in this league, including Shorty who for here on out I will refer to as Mr. Hindsman, Croix who I don't know if he's playing this year or not, and one of my favorite short shit talkers, Mr. Rhines.

I borrowed this from the Commish...

Outside of fantasy football, I've been through a lot with these guys. From staying in Straight hall, spades and dominoe tournaments, getting wasted, doing Mardi Gras, watching Dragonball Z, getting robbed, Midnight Racing, and all kinds of other fuckery that comes with living in New Orleans. But when it comes to fantasy football, they must've forgot...

One thing that makes this league interesting is the lineup and the points distribution. For one, you team defense can either make or break you. Unlike in standard leagues, in Coast2Coast Ballers your team defense can rack up triple digit points. Second, this league utilizes the elusive Offensive Player position, where you can play any offensive player including quarterback in this spot. Potentially, you can have three quarterbacks playing for you that week. Also, this league has a Head Coach position. This position can have little or major impact for your team. If your Head Coach's team blows out an opponent, that can lead to major points. If you Head Coach's team gets blown out, you can get negative points.

I haven't really played in this league in a while. Last year, I had a team but I didn't manage it. I had inherited the team like in week two and I was already involved playing in other leagues. The year before that I don't know what happened, I don't even know if there was a league that year. And in previous years things got all confusing with dues being paid. This  year however, I've been granted "reinstatement" from the Commissioner and it was an offer I couldn't refuse. I had truly

The draft was this past Sunday. I had the number one pick and I thought I could get into the draft, but it started while I was in church. Afterwards, we went out for dinner because it was my grandfather's birthday. No excuses though, my squad still came out pretty decent.

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
WR: A.J. Green
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Andre Johnson
TE: Martellus Bennett
OP: Eric Decker
OP: Dwayne Bowe
Defense: Packers
K: Justin Tucker
HC: Bengals Coach
Bench: Jordy Nelson
Bench: Giovani Bernard
Bench: Rashard Mendenhall
Bench: Andre Brown
Bench: Ben Roethlisberger
Bench: Dwayne Allen
Bench: Ed Dickson
Bench: Phil Dawson



When I got home later that evening and checked out my team, I was quite surprised who well my autodrafted team came out. It was an advantage that I had the number one pick which landed me AP. Somehow I was able to get Dez Bryant and A.J. Green. I have a stable of receivers. But i still spotted some weaknesses. I have Ahmad Bradshaw, who I think will get hurt eventually. My running backs on the bench could replace Bradshaw, but I want to wait until after week 1 to see how they perform.

Next thing I noticed was that I only had one quarterback on the bench and it was Ben Roethlisberger. Even though I have won a championship in this league with him, that was like six years ago and the Steelers' offensive line sucks ass this year. I went ahead and dropped Phil Dawson for Brandon Weeden because there isn't a need to have two kickers on the bench, and I think Weeden is going to have a much better year than last season.

Then I took a look at Andre Johnson. A few years ago, Johnson and Megatron were going in the first round. Lately, Johnson has fallen off due to injury and Arian Foster. Plus, I don't trust Matt Schaub to put up decent number in a run oriented offense. I knew I could use Johnson as trade bait, so I put together a trade of Johnson and Roethlisberger to for Sam Bradford and Danny Amendola. With my stable of receivers, I think Amendola will fit in well and I expect for Bradford to have a career season. If I would've been thinking correctly, I would've included a team defense in that trade, but I'll figure out some way to deal with the Packers defense later, a strategy I'll talk about later when the season is underway.







No comments:

Post a Comment