Monday, August 12, 2013

Overly Anxious, or Bad Drafting



As I said in the last post, I usually don't like to do mock drafts because other participants don't really take it seriously. So I join random leagues to prepare for my draft. The first league I joined is FF2013 on espn.com where my team name is LA DonFamily. This is how my roster looks:

QB: Drew Brees
RB: Trent Richardson
RB: Darren McFadden
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: Mike Wallace
TE: Kyle Rudolph
Flex: Le'Veon Bell
D/ST: Chicago Bears
K: Steven Hauschka
Bench: Dwayne Bowe
Bench: DeSean Jackson
Bench: Vick Ballard
Bench: Michael Vick
Bench: Dustin Keller
Bench: Santonio Holmes
Bench: Fred Jackson

I did this draft at work in which I don't know if I was distracted by other things going on at work or if I was just overly anxious about drafting. I think it's the latter. I had the number five pick and I decided to draft Trent Richardson. After the pick, I thought about it and I started doubting my pick. Richardson had an above average rookie season on a team that pretty much sucked. However, I was starting to doubt that he could have the same output as last season.

I wanted to make sure I swung for the fences on my next pick to make up for correctly or incorrectly drafting Richardson with the fifth overall pick, so on my next pick I drafted Drew Brees and in the third round I drafted Demaryius Thomas.

I had thought that I had somewhat redeemed myself but in the fourth round I wanted to draft another quality running back. While I was trying to salvage my mental on the draft, everyone else were picking up running backs which resulted in many of the backs I had on my radar being already drafted. I ended up picking up Darren McFadden which sounded sexy at the time, but then I had an epiphany of sort. Run DMC has usually gotten injured at some point of every season since he's been in the league. I should've thought about this personally as I've had him on at least one team for the past three or four years.

At that moment, I felt as if my running back stable was the weakest link of my squad. I decided I would spend the rest of my draft trying to pick up viable role players to fill the void. With my remaining picks, I drafted Mike Wallace, Le'Veon Bell who is a rookie that is expected to have a good season, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson who is one of my sleepers, Vick Ballard, Kyle Rudolph, the Bears D, Michael Vick who is another of my sleeper picks, Dustin Keller another sleeper, Santonio Holmes even though he's hurt, Fred Jackson and then any kicker for the last pick.

At first I thought my team was okay except for my running backs. After a few days though, I began to reevaluate my running backs and I thought even though I didn't get a Ray Rice or a Doug Martin, I still was able to pick up some reliable backs who could do some damage given the right circumstances and situations. Even though my boy Richardson plays with a sorry team, he did outperform once. This is the same Trent Richardson from Alabama right? Plus Vick Ballard could be considered a productive sleeper, right? And you can't rule out the potential of Le'Veon Bell...right? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment